Ads

Monday, January 1, 2007

Mind Boggling Opinated Guy

Previously, I took a seminar on screenwriting from an accomplished screenwriter. A producer friend asked another friend of mine who was a screenwriter, "As a produced screenwriter, why would you need to take a course on screenwriting?"

His reply was that he was also an accomplished trap and skeet shooter but he also take courses on how to improve his skills. Every little bit helps.

One of the major discussions in this screenwriting class has been about the difference between the reel world and the real world. One thing this screenwriter keeps talking about is, "Don't let your moral compass get in the way of the story."

For me, the real world versus reel world dichotomy is one that I struggle with every day.

Consider, movies are entertainment. While they should be as close to existing historical knowledge as possible, sometimes getting everything perfect is beyond the monetary capabilities of the movie company. So should we, as viewers, just dismiss the movie out of hand because the soldiers carried M1903A1 Springfields instead of M1903A3 Springfields? My feeling is no, story will overcome the difficulties. However, others take the opposite view.

In a discussion with a friend in the aerospace industry, he told me that Mission to Mars was completely spoiled for him because of the little robot explorer shown in the beginning of the film. He is absolutely convinced that NASA would never build something that looked like a tinker toy.

I am not so sure about that, but the real point is why did he let that incident ruin the rest of the movie for him?

I have seen internet pages dedicated to the factual and historical mistakes found in Saving Private Ryan. Did these individuals find the movie less enjoyable because of the mistakes? Well, they had to have watched the film a healthy number of times to find all the mistakes. So, I guess they enjoyed something about the movie.

One question that has been lingering my mind the past year, "What's love?"

I think once you find a solid person whom you can love and be loved by, its alot easier to believe in that feeling. I know I love my friends and my significant other but I think these days peoples' definition of love has become too loose.
People get asked out and tell their significant others they love them one day into a relationship when they barely knew them before. That' s not love, that's lust. Its easy to lose faith early on, but see how many people get married. Forget divorce rates...that's not the point. The point is you are the one who is in charge of letting yourself feel.
Lucky for me, I have found my significant other. And with every cranky surprising surprise I received for every month's anniversary, our love is like a mystery wrapped and sealed box.
Love; checked.

No comments:

Post a Comment