Ads

Saturday, August 28, 2004

Raising Funds For National Kidney Foundation



Ah~ yesterday was one of the best days of this week. I had volunteered myself to help National Kidney Foundation (NKF) to raise funds with my fellow classmates.



I thought we were suppose to ask the public to drop their coins in the ready made tins but instead we were asked to sell pens to the public for two dollars each and we were given only two hours to complete the task.



We were allocated to various locations and unfortunately, I was stationed at Pasir Ris MRT Station with my other 5 group members who are also my classmates.



I know it will not be an easy task as Singaporeans are always being thrifty and others would rather spend their money on necessities or branded clothes than by just donating a measely amount of money to the charity.



And talking about charity. Mediacorp risks their celebrities to do dangerous stunts just to appeal the audiences to donate but why can't the people take their own initiative and not being urge by others instead just to donate a few cents or dollars.



Is it that difficult? I doubt so.



I stationed myself near the shopping center and targeted the young ones and parents with kids since the pens were of those which were catered to the mentioned groups of people.



I had trouble selling the pens to the first few people as most of them were rushing and uninterested in buying the pens.



And I was extremely pissed with a businesswoman who gave me an arrogant look and an expression telling me that she would rather spend her money on exquisite bras or paying a guy with a big dick to squeeze in her cleavage.



But minutes later, I manage to sell a pen to a middle age man and from thereafter, business started to pick up slowly. It wasn't quite difficult at all.



And an old lady who was selling newspaper at her stall bought one from me. I was really thankful for the old lady and elated that she was willing to donate and help NKF. Even though she earn a living by selling newspaper, she could still fork out two dollars unlike the businesswoman and some other rich people.



The two hours duration was up and guessed what? I had manage to sell all 20 pens while my other classmates were still struggling to sell them. Ah~ A big achievement for me and also I made a few new friends.

Signing Off,

Shah Rizal Isaac



No comments:

Post a Comment