Ads

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Respeito

Most people appreciate receiving respect from others; however, much of the time people fail to give respect. Respect takes a number of forms: Respect for other people, respect for people's property, and perhaps most importantly, respect for oneself. If you want others to give you respect, you must first learn how to give respect yourself.

“Respect” is a word like “empathy”, “love”, and “compassion”, that everyone agrees connotes a positive attribute; however, there are innumerable ideas about what respect means.

I endeavor to stay open to the facts of each person's suffering, including culturally specific experiences of degradation and harm, realizing that at times I may neither see nor understand another person's hurt, even when I have the best of intentions.

I believe we all must learn to criticize with careful and respectful intentions taking into count the possibility that our words may be taken out of context and used for other purposes other than what they were intended to be used when written. That is especially true with the written word and on the internet specifically.

Personally I have found it helpful in my efforts to stay alert to my own motivation, and to check my intentions.