Ads

Monday, April 23, 2007

Helping A Blind Man / Karma

Karma is the concept of 'action' or 'deed'. Karma is a sum of all that an individual has done, is currently doing and will do. The results or "fruits" of actions are called karma-phala. Karma is not about retribution, vengeance, punishment or reward; karma simply deals with what is.

The effects of all deeds actively create past, present and future experiences, thus making one responsible for one's own life, and the pain and joy it brings to others.

I was at the traffic light, crossing to get to the other side of the road when I saw a blind old man walking beside me.

His stick was his guide.

I slowed down my friend, Yihua so that I can walk with the blind man. I wanted to ensure that he gets safely to the other side.

As he stepped on the pavement, my friend and I walked away but still I felt uncomfortable. I turned back and saw him walking into a construction site.

I ran to him and held his right arm, "Uncle where do you want to go, I can bring you there..."

He told me that he wanted to buy breads at Raffles Hotel. I guided him. Amazingly, he knew where he was walking, "child, I'm in total darkness but I can feel with every steps I make..."

Still, I wanted to make sure he gets there safely. I don't care if I was late meeting my friends. I don't care if they bitch about me. I just want the old man to get there safely.

Him, "Child, are you Christian?"

"No..." I smiled and then I remembered he couldn't see.

"May God bless you even though you're not a Christian. You have a good heart."

Not true, I'm not that all good - I bitch, I gossip, I flare up.

I brought him to Starbucks after knowing that the shop was closing. He came all the way from Pasir Ris to City Hall just to eat.

"Child, do you want to eat?" he asked.

I know he's being kind but I don't want to take advantage of him. I helped him because I wanted to ensure that he gets safely to his destination and not to take advantage of him.

The same day, the cab fare mounted up to 30 dollars but I only had 26 dollars in my wallet. The taxi driver, "It's okay, you don't have to pay me. Go..."

No comments:

Post a Comment