Ads

Sunday, August 21, 2005

The Good Samaritan

When I just thought those foreigners are selfish and uncouth, my mindset towards them changed after what happened today. They made me believed that there are still those who are kind and gracious.

I was on board the North-East line train to Dhoby Ghaut MRT station. Since it was only two stops away from the station which I had to alight, I decided to stand instead of sitting and not giving up my seats to the elderly who were standing.

As the train approached the next stop, the cabin that I was in was already crowded with people. There were three elders carrying plastic bags on both of their hands standing at one corner of the cabin when they realized there were no more seats for them.

I wished I could offer help to them but there was nothing I can do at that point of time.I looked around for empty seats so that I could usher them to the seats if I manage to locate.

The old lady seemed weak and fragile. They were standing in front of two bangladesh workers who were happily chatting away and minding their business. I was, however, angry at their behaviors. Come on! Offer seats to the elders! I thought.

But then, I was wrong. Seconds later, they stood up and offered the old lady and the other old man to their seats. The elders thanked them and smiled. The Bangladesh workers smiled back.

I was ashamed of myself for thinking that way, for thinking that they were selfish! How could I? Just because I saw a few uncouth and selfish ones, I stereotype the others?

I would not have that mindset again. Tsk Tsk!

I, myself, is a good Samaritan. Not that I want to brag, but I often donate to those who are begging for money on the streets even if they are cons and I do offer seats to elders, pregnant women and little kids.

When I was at Plaza Singapura earlier, I came across a lady standing near the ticketing counter at the golden village, approaching people; those who were buying tickets.

Unfortunately, those people did not even bother to look at her when she was talking to them and the worst part was that they shunned her away.

I looked at her and believe she was no where close to being a beggar or those people who begged for money like those on the streets as she was wearing very nice clothes and she was carrying a handbag.

Abruptly, I told my friends to station ourselves near her for a while because I needed to know what was going on (Yes, I was being nosey) and as predicted, she approached us.

In her hands were two tickets to a certain show. As she explained further, we realized that it was a pair of complimentary passes to the show, Bewitched.

However, her friend was not able to make it for the movie and since she did not like to watch movie all by herself and wasting her other ticket, she decided to give the pair of tickets to those who are willing to buy them from her.

As I was in a very good mood that day and out of kindness, I purchased the tickets from her and since she did not state how much the tickets were, I gave her 10 dollars.

She thanked us and left hurriedly. Puzzled I was at her behaviour. Maybe she was a con! I thought. Ah! Who cares!

The tickets were of no use to me as I already watched the movie.

Evil Twin: Then why buy the bloody tickets from her since you've already watch the show! You very funny leh! You think you Santa Claus ah!

I decided to give away the purchased complimentary tickets to others. We were looking out for couples or those in twos since it was only a pair of ticket to be given out.

My friend, Sora, then spotted a couple 4 levels below us, quarreling. What a better way for them to work things out by catching a movie. Then, we rushed to where they were and handed the tickets to them with no strings attached.

The lady accepted the tickets and smiled at us but as soon as we left, she started to quarrel with her boyfriend again.

Presumably, I think she threw the tickets away.

Signing Off,
Shah Rizal Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment