Ads

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Being Nice Pays Off

Yet another day, a hectic day to be precise, the weather - hot and humid; I was rushing. I knew I was going to be late. They knew I will always be late for everything; movies, lunch, dinner etc.

I looked at my wrist watch which indicated, 4.45p.m. I had 15 minutes left. But I knew it was impossible to reach my destination before 5. I hailed the cab and opened the door when abruptly the cab driver stopped me from entering and asked for my destination first.

Upon hearing where I wanted to go to, he brushed me off by saying a rude simple NO. Then, I saw an indian lady who was waiting for a cab too. I called for her but somehow she did not notice. I still did not shut the cab's door as for, maybe, she is going to the same destination as the cab driver.

I felt the car moving but the door was still not shut. Impatient he was.

I slammed the door shut and walked away. Then, I noticed the indian lady turned back and asked me to stop the cab which was already a few meters away from me but it was near impossible. Curious, she asked why I did not get on board the cab.

I told her the reasons and she began to ask me another question - where was I heading to?

I explained to her that I was rushing to my destination which was at City Hall and she gave me that weird look on her face. Being the courteous me, I asked her back and she said she was going to Suntec which was somewhere near to my destination.

So she suggested that we could share a cab. But there was a catch. I had to alight at Suntec City instead of City Hall.

Since I was also heading to Suntec City at the later part of the day, I called my friend and requested him to meet me there instead. Several cabs which were obviously not occupied and not even indicating that they were not for hired, zoomed past us even though we were flagging for them.

Frustrated we were.

Only several minutes later, one came and so we boarded it. The indian lady sat quite far apart from me. Maybe my face was that kind of perverted face. Haha!

Afterward, we conversed with one another and soon I realize she was late for her church thingy. She explained that the door would close at 5 and nobody will be able to enter if they came later than that.

As we were reaching our destination, we took out our money and agreed to share the fare.

We were both contented that we had reached our destination in time and were able to same money too.

Bless us!

Signing Off,
Shah Rizal Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment