Ads

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Evil Spirits Begone!

Now, it's the seventh month ghost festival and like what the chinese believes, it's the time whereby ghosts and spirits are set free from hell and to wander on Earth. It is wise for them especially the children not to go out late at night.

Food and drink will be offered at night outside the gates of houses. This is so that the ghosts do not enter their houses and cause trouble. A traditional food made for this festival is steamed sweet bread. Lanterns are lit to help guide the ghosts to the feasts set out for them.

Special paper money is also burned as offerings to these ghosts so that they can take it back to hell and spend it there. To make sure that these souls stay out of trouble, entertainment is set up round the clock, mainly Chinese operas performed on outdoor stages.

Another belief among the Chinese is that the dead return to visit their living relatives during the 7th month and thus they prepare a sumptuous meal for the 'hungry ghosts'. The Chinese feel that they have to satisfy the ghosts in order to get good fortune and luck in their lives.

During the 7th month, the Chinese offer prayers to the deceased relatives and burn joss sticks. In Singapore, it is a common sight to see entertaining 'wayang' shows and concerts performed on outdoor stages in some neighborhoods. These events are always held at night. There is a belief that this entertainment would please those wandering ghosts.


I was rather unlucky to have stepped onto the jossstick which was lying on the ground. I gasped in horror thinking to the fact that I might have offended the spirits or ghosts.

My friend, Eric a.k.a Imuya prayed for my safety and seeked forgiveness from them. Somehow, during that point of time, I forgot to apologize to those magical being but however, it was accidental. Why would I want to step on the joss stick just to offend the ghosts or spirits? I'm not that free lor!

But later on, I felt rather uneasy as I felt as though someone or something was watching me from afar. It sent shivers down my spine. I fastened my walking pace and left the area immediately, parting Eric as we had to go our seperate ways back home.

I entered the lift and pressed the button when suddenly the lights flickered and began to dim. I was taken aback. I moved a few steps back and close my eyes, not wanting to know what was happenning or about to happen.

I rushed out of the lift as immediately when the door opened. Upon reaching home, I let out a huge sigh of relieves. Thank God! Home sweet home! I thought.

As usual, I would be at the balcony playing games and typing my blog entry when I felt a sudden chill. Afterward, I smell an awkward smell - a mixture of cow dung and rubbish chute. It was really horrendous.

I thought of moving away from my balcony to my living room but somehow, I did not dare to make any movement and my legs were so wobbly to even stand up and walk away.

I closed my eyes and prayed. Minutes later, everything went back to normal; no sudden chillness, no smell. I looked at the time and realized it was already late.

I advanced to my room and sleep.

...

...

...

"Give me back my wallet!" I shouted to the little kid who pickpocketed me earlier on and was running away.

I gave him a chase and somehow noticed that his skin color was changing by the seconds. From white to yellow and then green. He stopped running and turned back.

Oh! The horror! His face was distorted and I could even see the skull. Soon after, I was teleported to another place. I stood on the edge of one of those HDB flats at Ang Mo Kio.

I am afraid of heights and standing there, at the edge on the very top floor, already sents shivers to me. When I was about to step down, somebody grabbed me by the shoulder and pushed me down.

I screamed!

And then, I woke up! It felt so real. I opened my eyes and saw the green kid resting beside me. Immediately, I closed my eyes back.

Go away... go away... go away... Please, don't harm me!

I dare not move. I opened my left eye slightly to see if the kid was gone but he was floating above me. He knew I was looking at him. He smiled. Then he advanced towards me; his face was so close to mine.

Abruptly, his hands wrapped around my neck and he began to strangle me.

I woke up and realized it was only a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment