Ads

Saturday, October 9, 2004

Love; The Betrayal



The train zoomed past us and the doors slide open to reveal quite an empty cabin. My group of friends and I hopped inside the cabin and took our seats. The cabin was quite quiet for a Saturday evening.



I looked around to find an old man yawning and flipping through Streats, another young man who was just staring blankly into space and a girl, probably the same age as me wore a black dress and had nodded off while listening to the music from her discman.



There were oddly some feelings of expectancy that kept tugging at my heartstrings but I couldn't nail it in my head. Since the cabin was so empty and I had my camera with me, I suggested to my friends that we take a group photo.



My friend approached the guy to help us take a photograph and he kindly agreed. The five of us huddled tightly in a row, smiled and make all sorts of wacky poses for the candid photo.



We were making so much din that the old man slipped us a look of disapproval and the girl who was dozing off one seat away from us looked at us in our direction as the cameraman snapped the photo.



The train ride was a relatively short one for me and when my destination was announced over the speakers, we quickly thanked the cameraman. As I stepped out the train, an inexplicable disappointment crept into my heart.



I turned and looked back but was shocked when the girl wasn't there already. The train whipped past by me into the dark tunnel. Then I let out a huge sigh of disappointment. I continued walking with my friends.



And then I went out of the control station when I suddenly saw someone familiar. It was the girl who I saw in the train minutes ago. She was in front of me. I smiled to myself.



Her shiny dark brown hair cascaded down her back. The loveliest brown satiny eyes peered out from this mane of hair. Her face shone of brightness and love.



I was mesmerise. I continued looking at her, everything and everyone else seemed invisible to me except for her.



Suddenly, I hit against an old man, "Oi, don't know how to walk ah boy?" he shouted. I apologized to him and walked away feeling embarrassed. I looked ahead and yet again noticed that the girl was out of my sight.



I frantically looked around and noticed that she was no longer there. I sighed again.



"What's wrong with you, Isaac?" my friends asked.



"nothing wrong.." I said.



We proceeded to Clarke Quay and settled at one of the restaurant there to have our dinner. It was already 7 in the evening. The settings were fabulous; we were seated near the river, and the stars above the skies glittered away.



And then my friends decided to buy ice-creams from the stall next to the restaurant, leaving me alone. I looked up at the beautiful sky and then scanned around my surroundings.

My eyes were wide opened when I suddenly saw the girl again. She was just a few tables away from me, seated with two other girls and a guy. Each time she smiled, my heart beats faster.

I looked at her intensely. And then she noticed. She noticed that I was looking at her. She looked at my direction and smiled. My heart melted. I smiled back at her. At that point, I knew I wanted to know her so badly but how would I make that approached in a more discreet manner.

Seconds later, I noticed that her friends had left the table and there she was alone.

Should I approach her, I thought.

I took up the courage and walked towards her. Each step I made, my heart thumps faster, my feet became wobbly and I was breathing so deeply.

"Hi.. Do you mind if I join you?" I asked.

She looked at me surprised but then gestured to me to seat next to her.

"I'm Isaac..." I reached my hand out to her.

"I'm Katherine. But you can call me Kat..." She responded with a smile.

"So we are friend?" I asked dumbly.

She smiled and asked me to put one of my hands on the table, palm facing up. Then, she took out a pen from her small handbag and scribbled something on my palm.

I giggled softly as it was ticklish. She was done and I looked at what she had written. "912..."

"You're giving me your number?" I asked.

She nodded.

We chatted but soon after my friends came back. I bid her goodbye and told her that I would call her when I reached home.

Days had passed, Katherine and I had got along quite well. We went out shopping, watched movies and played arcades together. We were both happy.

One day, I decided to pop up the question that I'd longed wanted to ask her.

"Katherine, I know we'd only known each other for quite a short period of time but I believed that I am falling in love with you." I paused to catch a breather and continued, "Can you be my girlfriend?"

I saw tears in her eyes. She hugged me tightly and whispered, "Yes, I will." I hugged her back and never wanted to let go.

We became an item from then onwards. We hardly quarrel and even if we do, we gave in to one another as for we loved each other so much.

On our 1st year anniversary, I decided to celebrate with her at Marina Square. We went to Kavana restaurant to have our lunch there, and then proceeded to the bowling center at the 2nd floor.

Suprisingly, I saw my friends,Christopher, Jane and David at the bowling center too. So we decided to use a lane instead of two since there were only five of us.

Amidst the game, I would also see Katherine exchanging eye contacts with my best friend, Christopher but I had never question her love for me. I let the matter go.

A few months after, Katherine started to act strangely towards me as though her love for me was not there anymore. Each time, I asked her out, she would give me an excuse.

"Sorry I have to go out with my parents today." or "Sorry I have to finish up my project."

I was terribly disappointed. Most of the time, she wasn't telling me the truth and that really stabbed my heart. I wished that never happened.

One day, I decided to give her a surprise visit at her home and give her a bouquet of roses that I'd bought. But as I was approaching her block, I saw her with another guy holding hands.

I could not see the guy's face as his back was facing me. I hid behind one of the pillars and looked at them.

She gave a peck on his cheeks and hug him tightly.

Tears started to roll down my cheeks. I looked away from them and fell to my knee. I felt weak. I didn't believe what I'd seen but soon after, I began to accept the fact that she was seeing another guy.

I stood back up and walked away, leaving the bouquet of roses on the ground.

The moment I stepped into my house, I dashed to my room and cried all night and neither did she called me.

I've done so many changes just for you but what's the point when you don't even appreciate at all. If I had known earlier that you started to like another guy, everything I do isn't of any use. You left me waiting and aching for you in the dark, keeping the painful truth for me, crying all alone...

The next day, I called her but was greeted by her angry voice. And the next thing I knew, she wanted a break up. She was persistent and I was left with no choice but to agree with her decision...





... "It's all right. There's nothing wrong with guys crying. Make sure those tears were worth shedding for that girl.... Would you like to talk more about it?" Christopher asked.



"Let's move to somewhere quieter..." I suggested. We moved to the study area outside the general office and planted ourselves there.



"I met her at Clarke Quay and we stayed together for quite a long time. Everything seemed so perfect until I saw her kissing another guy at her block. I wanted to surprise her and did not tell her that I was coming."



Christopher looked at me in bewilderment.



"Isaac, I..."



His statement was interrupted by my soft crying..."She was my first and I gave her everything she wanted. My time and effort and my heart."



Yet her last statement was "You are always so busy and never spend enough time with me. I think we're better off separated...."



Christopher leaned forward and hugged me. "You will be fine."

Days passed but I still felt terrible and upset over the break-up. I decided to watch a movie to ease my mind.

I wanted to get rid of the pain. I wanted to forget about her but it was difficult. It was.

And when I thought I'd seen the last of her, I saw her with the same guy who she had kissed and hugged.

I was curious of who he might be and the moment finally arrived. As he turned around, I saw his face. And I knew who he was.

Shocked. Enraged.

It was none other than my best friend, Christopher.

How could he? I thought. How could he betray me?!

They saw me.

Christopher looked at me with that innocent look of his. Bleah! Immediately, he rushed towards me and apologized.

"Isaac, I wanted to tell you but you didn't give me a chance to do so," he said. "I'm sorry. Please forgive me...I know what I did was wrong."

I stared at him, trying to control my tears. I was clutching my fist, ready to punch him but somehow I couldn't bear to hit him as he was my best friend.

"I won't forgive you, Chris." And I walked away.

A year had passed and I thought I would forget about my past but it came rushing back to me when one of my friends called me.

"Christopher had met with an accident. He was admitted to Singapore General Hospital..."



My best friend who stole my girlfriend away one and a half years ago is now in the emergency ward... What should I do?

Signing Off,

Shah Rizal Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment