Ads

Friday, September 2, 2005

'Congratulations...

... to Wei Lian. did I spell his name correctly. Despite being visually handicapped, he manage to sing his way through the project superstar and become the winner.

Though I was rooting for Kelly and voted for her quite a number of times, Wei Lian, himself, is also a great singer. Both have unique voices. Both are superstars.

Having been born without sight, the 23-year-old street busker must have definitely learnt independence from a young age. I have seen him find his own clothes just by feeling the texture of the fabric, as well as make his way to MediaCorp from the bus stop on his own. Has the competition made Wei Lian become dependent on others?

The man himself, and his friends don't think so.

"Time is quite tight (during rehearsals or filming) so I rely on the contestants or crew to guide me as it's more convenient. Away from this competition, I'd usually go out on my own or sometimes with friends," he explained.


As for the 'disappearance' of his white cane, Wei Lian has his own reasons for not using it too.

"I think there's no need to use my white cane since they help to guide me along. It's a form of trust to the other party too. Sometimes I have to carry my clothes with one hand and the other hand is on my guider's shoulder or elbow, so it's not convenient to use my cane. Plus when we are in MediaCorp, the distance from Point A to Point B is quite short, so I find it troublesome to unfold my cane and then fold it back again."

Nevertheless, Wei Lian displayed his streak of insecurity when he revealed that he felt he might be disturbing and taking up the contestants' time. "We are after all in a way enemies on stage. So sometimes I'd worry they'll blame me if they were eliminated. Even though I know they wouldn't, I'd still have the nagging guilt in my mind."


I will be anticipating for Wei Lian's album!

Signing Off,
Shah Rizal Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment