Ads

Friday, September 23, 2005

My N.S Life; The Beginning

I'm back and I'm here to blog again!

The day before I was enlisted, I went out with my significant other to watch The Cave and have our last dinner together before getting enlisted and not seeing each other for two weeks. I tried to control my emotions but at the end of the day, somehow, I just couldn't.

When I was to part with my significant other, I cried. I cried hard. I wanted to stop but tears just fall freely. I hug my significant other for the last time. One tight hug.

I reached my doorstep and was welcomed by mymother who was already standing near the door, waiting for me. Yet again, I began to cry again. I was slowing breaking down and realizing the fact that I will be enlisted the very next day.

I will not meet my friends, my love ones and possibly leave my blog stagnant for a week or so.

But then, I thought, if I kept on having negative thoughts, I will never make it, I will never be happy when I am in camp. If I kept on thinking of what was going to happen and whether the officers there are nice or stern people or whether the trainings would be rigorous, I would not be living an easy life in there.

My mum cried but she tried to remain compose as for she did not want to upset me further. She wanted me to be strong. She wanted me to be brave.

Time ticked hastily. And soon, it was morning.

I prepared myself, controlled my emotions and waited for my significant other's call before I left my house.

Approximately at 8, I arrived at the campsite, crowded with many unknown faces. I took a quick glance at my surroundings and realized the campsite was only a few meters away from the zoo.

As I move forth, I saw alot of different kinds of people; from the tattoed guys to the punk guys to the nerdy guys to the arrogant ones etc. Of course, without a doubt, fear engulfed me.

Some of them have really frightening looks.

I was ushered to the auditorium where I was given a colored sticker and was told to pass my NRIC to one of the officers there before proceeding any further.

I was quiet, really quiet. I did not really want to talk to anyone. I continued walking with my parents and sister, observing the officers at work and inspecting my new home.

Then, I was seperated from my family for a short while to inspect the stuffs that were in the duffel bag which contains all my army stuffs; the boots,the number 4 uniform, the slacks, the admin attire and etc.

Minutes later, one of the officers ushered us to an empty hall, which is also called the drill hall, to cut our hair.

I trembled upon hearing those words; you are going to be botak. I tried to buy time by skipping turns and making trips to the toilet time and again. But then I realize, I can't escape it. I have to go through it.

My turn was next. I sat on the chair and was told that they were going to shave my head. I closed my eyes and felt the scissors cutting my hair, the razors trimming my hair.

Soon, it was over. I looked at the mirror and saw the new me.

Evil Twin: Show us your new look!

Not in this entry but I promise I will.

Later, it was time for my family to leave. I was then ushered to the lecture room where I was grouped according to my platoon. I looked around and observed who I could click better with when I am in the army.

Unusual and unexpected, I made friends from other platoons instead of the one I was in. I was still at square one, all by myself, without any friends yet.

I was extremely quiet. I just could not open my mouth and converse with the guys. I guessed I was feeling petrified. I was intimidated by them. I wished I did not have to undergo N.S that soon.

Nevertheless, live has to go on.

Signing Off,
Shah Rizal Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment