Ads

Sunday, January 2, 2005

Meeting Up With My Other Half's Parents



Yesterday, I started my day by cleaning up my balcony when I realized how messy it was with double the books being stacked on the computer table and the dusty shelves that were not clean for weeks.



It was two long hours of slavery after which I stopped to take a short break and then fell asleep on the living room sofa. Time ticked hastily without me realizing that it was already evening.



I woke up and was greeted with the ring on my cellular. My other half informed me that my other half's parents are inviting me over for dinner and bowling at Yishun which was the other side of the island.



I hesitated to give a firm decision. I was worried that I was not presentable enough and that my other half's parents would not like me. Apart from that, I was afraid that my other half's parents would ask me a lot of questions and my answers would not be good enough.



"You're worrying too much," said my other half.



I asked for another ten minutes to make up my decision. I was thinking of all the possibilities. If I were to meet up with my other half's parents, then I will know them better and vice versa.



Ten minutes were up, and my decision was finalized. My other half was waiting for my answer eagerly.



Without hesitation, I replied a YES and I could hear joy in my other half's voice. We hung up the phone and got ourselves ready.



I was supposedly to meet them at North Point Shopping Center at Yishun at 8.30p.m but judging from the rate I was going, I predicted that I was going to be late.



I panicked.



My other half informed me that they will be eating at a cafe before proceeding to the bowling alley which was located at Yishun Safra.



Upon hearing that, I told my other half not to wait for me or let my other half's parents to wait for me as I would be terribly late.



I did not want to leave a bad impression on them but they insisted on waiting for me at the cafe.



I rushed but upon reaching the shopping center, I lost my way. I was not able to find the restaurant. Minutes passed so I decided to call my other half for help. Unfortunately, I could not be able to reach my other half's cellular.



Being the smart me, I checked the directory and went to the information counter to direct me to the restaurant.



Finally, I reached.



I was greeted by them and I was glad that they were not mad at me for being late. I settled down and take a look at the restaurant's menu. My eyes were wide opened when I saw how expensive the food there was.



I settled for a fish and chip which cost me 6.90 and an Ice Lemon Tea, totaling up to 9 bucks.



But soon after, my other half's dad cancelled my order and replace it with Sambal Fish and Chip which cost nearly 13 bucks. I gulped in terror.



But I was soon relieved to hear from my other half that my other half's parents would be paying for the entire meal. However, I felt extremely guilty.



At 10, we left the restaurant and took a cab to Yishun Safra. My other half's dad, my other half and I took the same cab while my other half's mum, god brother and my other half's god brother's girlfriend took another cab.



We arrived a few minutes later and advanced to the bowling alley. Only four of us decided to play bowling while the ladies excused themselves and went to KTV to sing their hearts out.



My other half and I played 3 games of bowling, only to realize that we already tire ourselves out at the fourth game. So we decided to stop playing and watched my other half's dad and god brother pitting against one another.



Overall, my performance was not too shabby. I had a total score of 130 for each game and was placed second for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd game and placed first at the fourth game despite being tired.



My other half was placed last for the 1st and 2nd game but made a comeback at the 3rd game for being 2nd.



Soon after, we left the area at 12.45a.m and waited for our individual cabs. I was pleasantly shocked to know that my other half's parents had booked a cab and decided to sent me home first before proceeding to their own home.



In the cab, I was still quite shy of talking to my other half's parents but I was glad that they did not mind at all.



As I stepped out of the cab, I thanked them for the wonderful time they'd given to me.



What a good way to start off the New Year.



Signing Off,

Shah Rizal Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment