Ads

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Purpose Of Life

I've questioned myself these few days of whats the purpose of living and what are my goals in life.

In my experience, the most important question on the minds of young people today concerns life's ultimate purpose. If you were to ask them what they think it is, they typically answer that life is about achieving one's goals, living life to the fullest, or fulfilling one's potentialities, etc. Such answers are not all that bad for adolescence.

Much more trying are those very answers when they come from adults who should know better. That the purpose of life is to fulfill our potentialities is in some ways a truism. What else could it be? The problem is knowing just what those potentialities really are.

The hedonist thinks they amount to little more than the potentiality to feel good, while the megalomaniac sees them in relation to his overall goal of achieving power, while another regards the potentiality to complete selflessness.

To the ears of an adolescent, "realizing one's potentialities," means, for the most part, that the purpose of my life is primarily about me. So as an answer to the question about life's purpose, "realizing one's potentialities" doesn't mean a great deal, even though it may not be, strictly speaking, false.

I have a dream and that is to travel around the world.

But first, I need to save alot of money.