Ads

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Granny Whom I Can't Save

Three years back, at this very day, maybe at this very hour, I was at Chinatown Point with my friend, doing some errands before he headed for dinner at Banquet somewhere near that place. Though I still remembered we ended up at one of those ruin down coffeeshop.

We were near the pedestrian crossing, with both of our hands carring alot of plastic bags and shopping bags. An old granny was in front of us, walking really really slowly.

My cell phone rang.

The streets were crowded and noisy. I could not hear what the person was talking about on the other line. I hang up.

Then I heard a loud horn coming from one of the cars on the road. I turned and saw a white mercedes car which I thought was moving at 40 km/h which tried to stop before it got to the pedestrian crossing.

Why?

Because there were pedestrians crossing. A little boy and his mother ran back to the other side while the teenage girl dashed across. She made it. I think she was a sprinter.

But there was one who walked so slowly. And she was the old granny.

I dropped my shopping bags to the ground and dashed towards her. I pushed those who were blocking my way aside.

Time seemed to stood still.

The granny turned her head and saw the car. My hands reached out and manage to touch her sleeves but someone pulled the back of my shirt and I had to let go of the granny's sleeve.

"You can't save her! You'll die too if you try to..." The words coming from a stranger behind me seem soft and slow.

The car hit her.

Time seemed to move on at normal speed again. I fell to the ground landing on the stranger behind me.

I closed my eyes, not wanting to see what had happened.

Till today, I blamed myself for not saving her..

No comments:

Post a Comment