Ads

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Old Lady

I was in the queue, waiting to deposit my money at DBS bank. It was a pretty long wait so I was cursing and swearing all the people I hate. I am just kidding.

I was near the shelves where they had placed their pens so I quickly went over to write something on my cheque. Immediately after I was done, I jump back into the queue but an old lady came and went in front.

She saw the bouncy me but I gave way to her.

She smiled.

I thought it ended there.

She talked to me, asked me questions and even asked what I was doing there. At first, it was nice for her to strike a conversation with me. But then it became slightly irritating.

So I had to smile and talk to her throughout.

Yes, at times, I just wanted her to stop talking but then again I can't. Because I respect elders.

It was her turn and mine a minute later.

Then I heard her requesting the teller to take all her money out from her account.

Afterwhich followed by the teller telling her, "Ma`am, you only have $1.53 in your bank."

The old lady, "Also can la, you just take it out for me."

Teller, "I am sorry ma`am but we cant take the money out. You have to have at least a dollar in your bank."

When I heard their conversations, my heart broke into pieces. The old lady who tried to talk to me and I tried to ignore didn't have any money in her bank account.

I almost teared up and even when I am writing this entry, I felt for her even though at the very end of the conversations she said,

"It's okay la. Next time then..."

I wanted to approach her again. I wanted to talk to her again. She can speak english. She thought I am totally chinese. She didn't know that I can speak malay.

My heart broke.

You can never really know what will happen to you.

She took it so calmly.

She took it with grace.

I believe she is 80 years old plus.

I don't think she is working.

I believe she was waiting for her granchildren or children to deposit some money to her for daily allowances. But she didn't receive any.

She queued for 40 minutes odd only to know that her bank account has dried up.

I am not her. I don't know what she was feeling then.

But I felt for her.

I wished I can talk to her again.


I told myself never to tear up because its just 6 days to the new year. But I will promise myself to give monthly allowances to my parents even though when I know they are still working and fine.

And I will make sure I donate to every single old people on the streets who are asking for donations.

I have a weakness.

I can't see old people on the streets begging for money. I will feel really sad.